Monday, October 02, 2006

Hi..My Name Is: Barbara Vila

Somehow this weekend, my named changed to "Barbara Vila/Black Martha Stewart Girl".

Our Friends moved into a new Townhouse this weekend. It's fabulous but it's on the "fringe of tha hood" if ya know what I mean. Gentrification is alive and well in this city.

I thought they were inviting me over just to "see the new place" but I soon realized that I was called there to be the household handyman. I didn't mind really since I loooove to decorate.

My first order of duty was to install the toilet paper holders, I know what you're thinking: Don't houses usually come with these things?? Well, I guess not..

TOUGH LESSON LEARNED #1: When working in what seemed to be a 1500 degree sweat-shop/powder room, DON'T press really hard on the drill when inserting drywall anchors..they tend to push all the way into the wall leaving a GAPING hole in your friend's brand new drywall causing her to look at you in a not so pleasant way. Luckily I was able to cover it with the circumference (ooh big word) of the paper holder.

TOUGH LESSON LEARNED #2: Men don't listen to reason (aka NOTHING Linka72 suggests)
Safety Glasses?? We don't need no stinkin' Safety Glasses....
The male homeowner decided that white "wooden" blinds would look great in the bedroom, lovely idea IN THEORY, but the actual installation was not fun. I watch enough HGTV to know that when the drill is making a screaming/knocking/grinding sound and smells like burnt metal, it might be a good idea to "back off of it a little".
I suggested that we go to the store and get drill bits to make pilot holes and I got a "whatever" look and was asked what a pilot hole was..Jesus!
So 2 hours and 4 ruined drill bits later..TA DA!! 3 blinds hung!

I'm sure that I will be summoned there again this weekend, matter of fact, she left a pile of things in the corner for me to "get to" next time. Aren't friends great??

No comments: