Monday, September 11, 2006

Nothing's Changed

I just realized late last night that today was going to be the 5th anniversary of 9/11.

I remember the morning it happened, I was still at home and was watching the Today Show and saw the plane hit. From the distance they showed it, it looked like a small plane that veered off course.
Me and the other half joked about drunk pilots and we started out the door..then the second plane hit...I ended up going to work but as soon as I got there, everybody was in a panic and they sent out a mass email telling everybody to leave.

I stayed up for the next 24 hours glued to the TV. No matter how horrible the images were, I just couldn't turn the TV off. I cried and was sick to my stomach for days. My very religious co-worker asked why we were all "freaking out". She said that this was "The End Of Days" and that we've been told forever that it was going to happen. She told us to "get over it".

Wow, easier said than done...I guess if I had Faith like her it would be easier for me.

For months after 9/11, I had this overwhelming feeling that "You just can't save yourself". No matter how many precautions we take, there will always be a hole that terrorists can get through.
Everybody's profiling Middle Eastern looking men, but look at the mugshots of some of these guys. They look like guys I know from the local African American Barbershops I grew up around. And some even look White...

Nothing's Changed, I still have that feeling of hopelessness. It's probably bad luck to ask this but, WHAT'S NEXT?

No comments: