Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Obama...Wow

As you can imagine, there are some "scorched grits" here in the South.

But I guess they'll just need to get over it.


I was trying to think of something "profound" to say but I'm still in shock and frankly, I'm a little scared.
Scared because I know that there are some crazy bastards in this world that will stop at NOTHING in order to get their point across so to speak.
This brings to mind the circus of bullshit called racism in the South that I've unfortunately been invited to on many occasions as a black person.
Once I was called a nigger by a 2 yr old in McDonald's while her parents watched and laughed..yeah, nice.

But imagine that happening on a daily basis....

I worked at The King Center for many years. People always asked me: "Isn't it just a wonderful place to work??"
At the time, I really couldn't give them an "honest" answer because I was so caught up in the obligatory office bullshit that everybody goes through at some point:

  • Betty won't clean up after her filthy ass self
  • Somebody left piss on the seat in the Ladies room..niiiice
  • Who keeps leaving a file labeled "J" in the "P" folder location??
  • One month we were so poor, we had to choose between cable, coffee or air conditioning

Blah blah blah

Oh!! and my favorite thing was the CEO dissed me by insisting that my desk be placed in the FUCKING FILE CABINET ROOM!!

Yeah, that was fun...

But what I failed to realize was that my desk had the most beautiful view of the crypt where Dr. King is buried and of the eternal flame.











And then I thought of all that he'd been through in order to get to where he got before he was murdered and all that had happened in the decades since...lead not only by Black people but by people of ALL RACES that gave their lives to get us here.

And then I cried like a big ole baby, right there in the file room

I wanted to cry like that again last night but my Husband was soooo fucking drunk and belligerent that it kinda ruined the moment for me..he, on the other hand, was having a wonderful time and repeatedly tried to get some "Obama Lovin" but I wasn't havin it..(we're SUCH lovebirds.)

I understand that people are pissed and disappointed saying that we've been duped by Obama and that we'll live to regret our vote but I'm a little more hopeful.
I know there are going to be quite a few things that he'll do that I won't agree with but hell, nobody's perfect.



2 comments:

Guacaholic said...

1. A two year old? NO EFFING WAY. That is... that is just complete and total bullshit. That's all I can even say, because what the hell do I know? I'm a white girl in Minnesota. But "WTF WTF WTF" comes to mind.

2. I will never regret my Obama vote. I got a little swept away by the charisma and the hope and the end there, but I truly believe that he is a decent man who wants the best for our country. (And also, I really dislike Sarah Palin.)

Guacaholic said...

PS: My writing in that comment looks like I've been taking lessons from ol' Moosealini herself. Whoops!